In 1904 a meeting was held to organize a Baptist church in Cedaredge. On January 27, 1905, nineteen members were received, plus ten more pending receipt of their church letters. Four months later a Sunday School was formed. An early church roster listed fifty-two names.
The congregation’s earliest meeting place was the second floor of the Cedaredge Hall. During the summer, services were held in an eighteen by thirty-six- foot tent called “the Tabernacle.”
In 1907, a committee was formed to raise funds for a more permanent structure. In December 1908, Christmas services were held in the uncompleted building, but it was not until October 31, 1909, that the church, built at a cost of $3500, was dedicated.
In 1917, the congregation split over the issue of whether to adhere to the Baptist doctrine or whether to become a community church. The minister and many of the members left; those remaining not only filled the vacant positions, but also “kept the faith.”
In the 1940s, a fire caused so much smoke and water damage that the congregation met in the old, six-sided Adventist Church until repairs and remodeling was completed. On March 20, 1945, the sanctuary was rededicated. In the 1950s, an addition was made to the building for much-needed classrooms.
In the 1960s, $10,000 was given towards building a new sanctuary and two lots east of the old building were donated for the purpose. On September 25, 1960, the cornerstone was laid for the new sanctuary. Dedication services were held April 29, 1962. In 1973, the church withdrew from the American Baptist Conventionmainly be- cause of its association with the World Council of Churches and became an in- dependent Baptist church. Although it left the Convention, it never lost its con- cern for Missions.
In the 1980s, work began on a new building for social functions and for the newly organized AWANA program. Begun in March of 1982, the building was dedicated, debt-free, in September, and named the Elmer Wick Fellowship Hall. In 1986, the Judson Lobdell Memorial Library officially opened.
In 1995-1996, a committee revised the church constitution and by-laws. In the late 1990s, work commenced on the second floor of Wick Hall. By 1999, the classrooms were finished and were being utilized. In the last months of the century, as good stewards, the church prepared for Y2K, but never lost sight of the fact that the Lord takes care of His own.
In 2000, renovation of the “old” sanctuary was achieved. The classroom addition-- unused for some time--was converted into a roomy, attractive church library. A much-needed refurbishing of the “new” sanctuary was completed.
2008: Although much of the focus is presently on better utilization of existing build- ings--a necessary part of good stewardship--giving out the Gospel always takes first place.